FreeNAS iPerf - Measure Maximum TCP and UDP Bandwidth Performance
How to test network performance with FreeNAS server and Windows.
- Disable windows firewall. This is necessary if you want to test both send and recieve speeds using the -r switch.
- Launch shell in FreeNAS.
- Determine the version of iPerf the is installed. Type: iperf -v
- Download and extract respective iPerf version in root folder (c:\iperf) of Windows machine you will be testing with FreeNAS. Download link: https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php Most likely this will be iPerf 2.0.9 version.
- Launch command prompt as administrator and navigate to iPerf folder (c:\iperf).
- In FreeNAS server shell start iPerf server by typing: iperf -s
- On windows machine (iPerf client) in command prompt, navigate to iPerf folder type: iperf.exe -c FreeNASIP -P 10 -t 15 -r
- iPerf will run 10 simultaneous processes for 15 seconds and display results.
- When finished testing, on FreeNAS server type: killall iperf . You may need to enter this command two times. This is required as your CPU usage will likely be very high until you kill iPerf.