Alternating Sort Using Excel
Q: How to sort a list of names alternating gender in ascending height order?
- Assuming the following are in different columns: First Name, Last Name, Gender, Height in Inches.
- Four level sort: 1) Gender, 2) Height, 3) Last Name, 4) First Name
- Create a helper column and do a series fill for the male names and a series fill for the female names. Both starting with the same number. Start number should be high enough so that list of names does not increase place value. Example: 300 male names series fill starting at 101, 5000 male names series fill starting at 1001.
- Create a second helper column that concatenates the first helper column (the series fill column) with the gender column. Result should look like this: 101F
- Sort by second helper column (concatenated cells).
- Results should be in alternating gender order sorted by height.